BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grief and Grieving

Click the title of this blog and it will take you to the article and website which I recommend for a lot of valuable information and tools.  I wanted to include this website because it is what inspired me to write my previous blog.  I have encountered a heightened amount of loss in the past four years.  I think I might well qualify here as grieving and most likely, improperly.  I think a lot of people are like me.  Grieving still and not understanding or even knowing it needs to change.  It can change.  I think anything we change constitutes also as a loss.  Something old going out, something new coming in.


In the past four years I've lost:
- Old religious beliefs and most of my old beliefs
- My relationship with my family
- 3 places of residence
- a significant relationship
- my sweet canary
- two gerbils
- one of two dogs
- my three cats
- my best friends
- new friends
- my job
- my credit
- my hair in a few different ways
- went through severe family conflict
- the greatest automobile ever built - my Jeep
- lost support, camraderie, fellowship, being connected, close friendships
- lost the feeling of safety within myself
- lost the feeling of belonging anywhere

I'm sure there is so much more.  All this time I was grieving with self pity not understanding why it even mattered.  Holding so tight.  But not without noticing as these things have passed away so new things have come.

According to the Law of Vacancy, once you get rid of something you don't want, something else has to take its place eventually.  This summer is a pause.  All that remains will break completely away.  By fall many new things will be coming.  I'm trying to keep my faith and hope in that.  

This summer keeps me in the analogy of a music symbol.  The rest sign.  I have to fully play it because I can't keep one foot in the past and one foot in the future or I will miss all the silence and shifting that is still very much a part of the whole song.  I have to just rest and listen now.

0 comments: